It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: TOWN 2 WILLINGTON 1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:52 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 272
Robinson 89, Connor 90 Smith 58

Remarkable scenes... you would think Billingham Town had won the league title when Jack Connors goal had hit the back off the net. The players piled on top of each other, supporters celebrated like banshees - the management were left stunned by the high octane emotions that surrounded them. God knows what the visiting Australian officials thought of it all!! Put simply, the climax to this game is something I have never witnessed at a live football event. Beforehand, supporters, players and the officials took part in an immaculately observed two minute silence to honour our war dead. At the full time whistle, the ground reverberated in celebration for our heroes in blue. When all seemed lost, they battled, regrouped and stunned Willington with two strikes that could leave an indelible mark on Billingham Town’s psyche. This victory, leaves Town fifteen games unbeaten and Barry Oliver & Paul Edwards squad has a hardened steeliness about them. Willington came into the game in excellent form with only one defeat in eleven games and it showed. Neat, tidy and with the wily Mattie Moffat upfront alongside Dean Thexton, the visitors always had an outlet although they remained mostly ineffectual. However, it was Jeff Smith who caused the initial damage with a sublime strike but the ex professional went from hero to zero. Having already received a yellow card moments earlier - Smith recklessly went in for another challenge leaving referee Mr S Lozic little option but to send him off. Town took full advantage as Matty Robinson equalised with a header and then in added on time, Connor forced the ball home causing euphoria and pandemonium in equal measure. The win against Thornaby was excellent. This win against Willington was special. Next Friday nights fixture against Redcar Athletic has a lot to live up to!

Willington began the the opening ten minutes with plenty of possession that came to nothing. It was Town that came the closest to taking an early lead. Craig Hutchinson turned and released Ash Lavan on the left hand side - Lavan played a simple pass to Luke Hogan who cut inside and angled a shot that curled towards goal but was inches off target. On twenty minutes, Lewis McDonald started a counter attack, allowing Lavan to pretty much run unopposed. Lavan found Hutchinson in a central position and Lewis Graham pulled off a magnificent save - pushing the ball behind for a corner. Willington had two identical opportunities from Smith free kicks. Mattie Moffat saw his glancing header saved by Macdonald and the towering Lewis Milner headed wide from a similar position. Although chances were limited, both sides tried to play the right way in a tactical affair.


The game of chess continued into the second half until Willington took the lead on fifty eight minutes. The goal was reminiscent of Johnny Wightman’s strike on Tuesday night. Nathan Plews switched the ball to the right hand side where SMITH unleashed an unstoppable strike into the bottom corner. For the next ten minutes, Willington were the better side, imbued with confidence so the Billingham management introduced Matty Robinson and Joe Hillerby into the action. Steadily, the substitutions were making an impact. Graham pulled off the save of the season to keep out Hutchinson’s free kick that was heading for the top corner, somehow palming the ball onto the crossbar and then Hillerby also hit the woodwork from twenty yards out. The turning point came with four minutes remaining. Smith, who had only just been booked was then handed a second yellow for an ill disciplined attempt on Mark Dixon. The sending off had upset Willington’s formation. Robinson attracted at least five pink shirts in his vicinity as he distributed the ball to Hillerby who then released Hogan on the left. Robinson had carried on his run and Hogan picked him out with a superb cross, allowing ROBINSON to rise above his marker and to head home! Town hadn’t been at their best but had found a way to earn a point...or had they? Deep into added on time, a truly magical moment happened. Robinson, once again in the thick of the action drove into a sea of pink shirts - the ball cannoning into Lee Moore’s direction. Moore had time and space to play the ball into the middle where Jack CONNOR forced the ball home for an unlikely winning goal! Unbelievable Jeff! If Chris Kamara had been in attendance! What a game! What a result! What a team!


McDonald, Kirkbride (Robinson), Dixon, Connor, Flounders, Summers, Moore (c), Davis, Hutchinson, Lavan (Hillerby), Hogan.
Unused: Maddison, Thompson, Connelly.

Sent from my iPad



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group