It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: TOWN 0 JARROW 1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:50 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 255
Wightman 85

If this game was to be put into historical terms, then the names Dick Turpin and Bonnie & Clyde would spring to mind. Daylight robbery, but this was a night match and as the goods train ambled by the Great Train robbery would be more apt. From out of nowhere, Jarrow took the spoils and will now go into the quarter final stage of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup. Town had enough chances to win the tie but their profligacy in front of goal always allowed the visitors the opportunity to punish them and Johnny Wightman’s exquisite finish did just that! The home faithful will look back and feel aggrieved that yet another penalty decision went against them - a decision which became polarised because of all the missed chances. Although Jarrow rode their luck at times, you had to admire their approach as they set up in a disciplined formation. They gave Town little room to manoeuvre in the first half and when the gaps did appear in the second, Jarrow still hustled and bustled enough to wait for that one golden moment. Billingham have no other distractions and will now prepare for two upcoming home games against Willington on Saturday and Redcar Athletic, a week on Friday night.

Several lads we’re rested including Stephen Oakley, Jack Connor and Matty Robinson; Luke Hogan and Joe Hillerby started on the bench. Still, Billingham began with a strong eleven and came close to taking the lead after five minutes of action. Craig Hutchinson found minimal space from twelve yards out and would have scored if his shot had gone either side of Jak Wells - the Jarrow goalkeeper. The visitors best chance in the opening exchanges came via a long ball forward towards Wightman but the burly centre forward couldn’t guide his effort over Liam McDonald. Hutchinson created an opportunity by himself, robbing Ross Toward and firing wide while Lee Moore, playing outside right blazed over the crossbar. Jarrow began to have more possession in Town’s final third without testing McDonald although the main highlight of the half came at the other end - two minutes before half time. Ash Lavan worked an intricate one-two with Hutchinson and when Lavan picked up the return pass, Toward clipped Lavan’s heels with two feet. Lavan tried to stay on his own feet but the momentum of the foul took him down to the the ground but amazingly, referee Mr S. Thornburn deemed that no contact had been made! There was still time for Hutchinson to header over from a Jamie Davis corner but there was a sense of irritation amongst the players as they came off for half-time.


Town have a habit of starting games slowly at home and then coming out all blazing in the second half. Tonight, was no different as they pushed Jarrow into a virtual rearguard action. Davis saw his delicate header pushed over the bar by Wells while Lavan struck the side netting from an acute angle. On sixty six minutes, came the move of the cup tie. Dan Flounders roamed forwards and played a simple ball to Moore who in turn found Hutchinson in a rare moment of space - the striker turned and arrowed a terrific shot that cannoned off the inside of the post; Luke Hogan, who had only just been introduced to the fray was quickest to react but the ball came to him at such speed he could only guide the ball over the bar with a gaping goal insight. Jarrow threatened briefly with Wightman shooting straight at McDonald but Town continued to look the more dangerous of the two sides. Hutchinson headed over - Joe Hillerby fired over and then Hillerby was on target with a low strike which Wells fumbled. With six minutes to go, Hutchinson was only inches away with a curling effort from twenty yards and then came the sucker punch. Substitutes Jonathan Evans & Liam Simpson-McGill worked the ball to Dean Martin in the middle and the central midfielder played the ball out to WIGHTMAN on the right who was lurking with intent. The veteran striker rattled it into the bottom corner leaving Town stunned. It was superlative strike, worthy of winning any game in its own right. There was still time for Wells to deny Hutchinson on two separate occasions but the elusive goal just wouldn’t come! Maybe Jarrow should change their nickname to the ‘Highwaymen’.

McDonald, Kirkbride, Dixon (Maddison), Davis, Flounders, Summers, Moore, Thompson (Hillerby), Hutchinson, Lavan, Connelly (Hogan).
Unused: Kenney, Morris.



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group