It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pontefract
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:34 am 

Hoping for a really good performance today- our last pre-season game before the season starts and a good test against a team that has recruited well this summer. Hopefully the injuries that have plagued us over the last few weeks will start to subside soon.

Anyone going?

Post subject: Re: Pontefract
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:49 am 

Yes do you want a lift ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:07 pm 

Ken Hill wrote:
Yes do you want a lift ?

Thanks for the kind offer, I've already sorted a lift for the game though! Be nice to see a large Blues contingent down there this afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:20 pm 

So, on today's game- I thought that was probably our best performance. First half we seemed to be outplayed, we looked a bit nervous in defence and if I'm being completely honest we let them bully us a little bit. Second half was a different story, we were challenging (and winning) every ball in our half. Sam Liversidge didn't put a foot wrong in midfield, Todd Jordan was dominant at the back, and Sam Cable made two very good chances for himself.

However, once again a very good performance was matched with a poor result, and we seem to have an inability to stop conceding and to score more goals. I'm hoping that as we progress a little further into the season, we sign another forward (Nick Guest anyone?) and another defender, just for a bit of added strength at either end of the pitch. I'm also a bit concerned as to whether Spink knows his first XI at this point- we seem to be chopping and changing a lot throughout pre-season. However, I'm also thinking that once injuries to certain players (Howard, Currie, Nenad etc) are solved, we'll have a better idea of the squad and more consistency in selection.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:02 pm 

Ponty had 3 center halves and a goalie that have played for us recently, they did shade the first half but Sam's goal should have stood Seb jumped on Tod and dropped the ball as Seb was outside the six yard box Tod has right to challenge for the ball, thought we shaded second half with both teams having good chances to score, 1-1 would have been a fair result ponty were quite physical but we stood up well to them, Sam & Jack were for me our stand out players but everyone in midfield and defence played their part still think we need a big center half we can't give, as we did, opposition free headers at corners. That said I'm more exited about the new season than I was a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:43 am 

It's a shame that despite quite a few Frickley fans making the short trip to Pontefract yesterday, it seems only me and Ken Hill are wanting to give our thoughts- wonder if that has anything to do with the performance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:21 pm 

Can you imagine how many comments there would have been if it was 4-0 5-0 etc?

I told you so, what did you expect, what a load of rubbish, but it wasn't a load of rubbish, therefore no comments.

Well played Frickley, it should at least been a draw.

Play the same on Saturday and we will have played one, won one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:17 pm 

Dennis Price wrote:

I told you so, what did you expect, what a load of rubbish, but it wasn't a load of rubbish, therefore no comments.

Completely agree with you there Dennis! Saw quite a few from this forum at the game on Saturday, therefore there can't really be any excuses- especially after my lack of comment on the Scunthorpe game was being raised little more than an hour after the game!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:51 am 

Wasn't at the game so can't comment but must admit I expected a drubbing. Overall the friendly results have been disappointing but as said before I don't read a lot into them. We'll see where we are on Saturday and I'll post win, lose or draw. Come on Blues.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:32 pm 

ch1401 wrote:
Dennis Price wrote:

Completely agree with you there Dennis! Saw quite a few from this forum at the game on Saturday, therefore there can't really be any excuses- especially after my lack of comment on the Scunthorpe game was being raised little more than an hour after the game!

Was i there, i can't remember?