It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Barry Oliver
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:39 am 

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... y-19573186

Wonder what this means for Billingham Town? Will the league or FA take action against them?

'Say, hey Johnny boy, the battle call
United we stand, divided we fall
Together we are what we can't be alone
We came to this country, you made it our home.'

Dropkick Murphys - 'Boys on the Dock'

Post subject: Re: Barry Oliver
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

The club has been thrown under the bus by the defense. There wasn't a single penny paid to the club in the time Barry Oliver was there. The accounts are kept meticulously with every penny accounted for.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:49 am 

I think there maybe some sort of investigation into if any of this money was used towards the playing budget - and the budget was obviously very healthy to put together the good side they had over the last couple of seasons. Mmmmm, something not quite right here!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:12 pm 

Mike M wrote:
I think there maybe some sort of investigation into if any of this money was used towards the playing budget - and the budget was obviously very healthy to put together the good side they had over the last couple of seasons. Mmmmm, something not quite right here!

A court has ruled on this, so cant see anything further happening personally, he and his legal team have played a blinder to get a reduced sentence at the same time dragging a good club into the gutter with them.

Ive had quite a few dealings with the guy and if he told me there was a "Y" in every day I would check my calendar. bullshiters are always caught out in the end...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:59 pm 

It appears conmen rogue owners are at every level, not just pro clubs. And sadly its easier for such guys to get a foot in the door at clubs at northern league level. Not right a guys dodgy dealings in his business are coming back to haunt the club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:37 am 

Neil M wrote:
The club has been thrown under the bus by the defense. There wasn't a single penny paid to the club in the time Barry Oliver was there. The accounts are kept meticulously with every penny accounted for.

Difficult one this. If a Manager turns up wanting to put money into a Club, would any committee do any due diligence as to where the money came from , and in fact how would they. That said it was obvious they had good resources over the last 5 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:52 pm 

Wack wrote:
Neil M wrote:

Difficult one this. If a Manager turns up wanting to put money into a Club, would any committee do any due diligence as to where the money came from , and in fact how would they. That said it was obvious they had good resources over the last 5 years.

Very good point, 6th tier (nln and nls) and above theres the leagues fit and proper tests for owners and directors but sure not essential at the levels below. People at the club can do there own research but what else, get criminal records checks on the person wanting to put money in, get a accountant to suss them out? Not sure how a club would get proof of funds. Also not how clubs are limited companies so god knows how such checks could be carried out

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:35 pm 

To suggest that as manager and later chairman that Barry never put any money into the club is hard believe.

Shame for the folks at Billingham whose achievements of recent years have now been tarnished indefinitely.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Mr T-side wrote:
To suggest that as manager and later chairman that Barry never put any money into the club is hard believe.

Shame for the folks at Billingham whose achievements of recent years have now been tarnished indefinitely.

As an ex-director, I can say 100% that no payments were made to the club by Barry Oliver.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:21 pm 

of course your going to say that Neil.

I'm not saying your lying, but the club even ex directors do well to distance themselves from this embarrassment

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Mr T-side wrote:
of course your going to say that Neil.

I'm not saying your lying, but the club even ex directors do well to distance themselves from this embarrassment

I can guarantee the club hasn't received a penny, that is a hard fact that can't be disputed (unless you want to accuse us of fraud). The accounts are rock solid and available to all members upon request, and are also published at the AGM every year. There was plenty of refurbishment work done over the years, a lot of which we paid for materials, and the labour was done free of charge. There was also some refurbishment work done at no cost to the club, however materials wouldn't even amount to 10k, never mind 70k.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:54 pm 

I can guarantee the club hasn't received a penny, that is a hard fact that can't be disputed (unless you want to accuse us of fraud). The accounts are rock solid and available to all members upon request, and are also published at the AGM every year. There was plenty of refurbishment work done over the years, a lot of which we paid for materials, and the labour was done free of charge. There was also some refurbishment work done at no cost to the club, however materials wouldn't even amount to 10k, never mind 70k.[/quote]

This is all very confusing. As a former Director can you please advise which Company was used for the finances of the Club as the information on the Companies House website is unclear and it appears there are no relevant accounts there!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

ovacik wrote:

This is all very confusing. As a former Director can you please advise which Company was used for the finances of the Club as the information on the Companies House website is unclear and it appears there are no relevant accounts there!

Company no 11733221. Not that you'll get much from it, being micro company accounts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 pm 

Company no 11733221. Not that you'll get much from it, being micro company accounts.[/quote]

Many thanks. So what happened before incorporation in December 2018? In the words of the recently deceased Johnny Nash 'there are more questions than answers'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:00 pm 

Neil M wrote:
I can guarantee the club hasn't received a penny, that is a hard fact that can't be disputed (unless you want to accuse us of fraud). The accounts are rock solid and available to all members upon request, and are also published at the AGM every year. There was plenty of refurbishment work done over the years, a lot of which we paid for materials, and the labour was done free of charge. There was also some refurbishment work done at no cost to the club, however materials wouldn't even amount to 10k, never mind 70k.

I'm accusing you of anything Neil let alone fraud.

Unfortunately in situations like this the honest man cannot win.

I'm sure you operate flawless books at Billingham and account for every penny.

Hypothetically its highly unlikely that money (proven in court) that was fraudulently gained by Barry would (if it was) funneled into the club would be declared any way.

So even if you publicly display the books, the albatross of being a club of shysters will hang round your neck for a long time due to this court judgement.

Of course I'm not suggesting anything illegal that may have taken place was done with the knowledge of the club or that the club have done anything untoward.