It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: AGENTS/SCOUTS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:21 pm 

A young lad I got to know through one of the colleges came across to fulfil his dream of playing football in this country, paid his own flights and all that was needed.
He is an ex U18s international goalkeeper.

A relation of mine got him a trial at a couple of NL and NA clubs but all though technically he is very, very good, his height at that standard put a few off.

I now hear he has been in contact with a scouting/agency based in London who have guaranteed him a place in a step5-7 team, even though they havent seen him play, he has to pay for a CV and for this service, a small fortune.
It really grieves me that a young lad. so impressionable but desperate just to play football should be taken for a ride like this.

Thoughts people?

Post subject: Re: AGENTS/SCOUTS
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:53 pm 

Still Learning. wrote:
A young lad I got to know through one of the colleges came across to fulfil his dream of playing football in this country, paid his own flights and all that was needed.

A relation of mine got him a trial at a couple of NL and NA clubs but all though technically he is very, very good, his height at that standard put a few off.

I now hear he has been in contact with a scouting/agency based in London who have guaranteed him a place in a step5-7 team, even though they havent seen him play, he has to pay for a CV and for this service, a small fortune.
It really grieves me that a young lad. so impressionable but desperate just to play football should be taken for a ride like this.

Thoughts people?

Wish him all the best but this sounds like a massive gamble that hasn't paid off and to be honest he couldn't have picked a worse time to try it with everything that's going on in the country.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:12 pm 

If he’s GK and not going to make 6ft 3/5 inch’s with a athletic frame he will struggle as that’s what. clubs are looking for , if he has all the other GK attributes ( can he catch the ball , good with his feet etc ) .
I think you have already said that a couple of teams g be ave turned him down because of his height .
He doesn’t need to waste money on some two bit agent , set his sights a bit lower , get some games under his belt , if his performances are good enough someone will spot him and who knows may earn a few quid , you said he’s only 18 plenty time for a GK to develop.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:55 am 

Heshootshescores wrote:
Still Learning. wrote:

Thoughts people?

Wish him all the best but this sounds like a massive gamble that hasn't paid off and to be honest he couldn't have picked a worse time to try it with everything that's going on in the country.

Thanks you I certainly will and agree with you its such a shame, kids as keen and dedicated as this lad are one in a million.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:59 am 

TUDGUY wrote:
If he’s GK and not going to make 6ft 3/5 inch’s with a athletic frame he will struggle as that’s what. clubs are looking for , if he has all the other GK attributes ( can he catch the ball , good with his feet etc ) .
I think you have already said that a couple of teams g be ave turned him down because of his height .
He doesn’t need to waste money on some two bit agent , set his sights a bit lower , get some games under his belt , if his performances are good enough someone will spot him and who knows may earn a few quid , you said he’s only 18 plenty time for a GK to develop.

My sentiments exactly, although his leap and agility makes up a little for his lack of height, I agree and have explained this to him, you can coach most things in the game but cant change physicality. trouble is, and to his credit, you cant keep the kid down he's determined to play.