It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: new-step-4-league
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:25 pm 

Hilarious ranting from Amos. As ever, his concern is with the name ‘Northern League’ being above the door and little else.

He remains steadfastly against the idea of promotion and relegation and always wanted a hermetically-sealed unit left to its own devices, completely at odds with most of the rest of the country. The pyramid system sees leagues as primarily administrative vessels with a transient club membership passing through. The clubs are far more important than the leagues themselves in this system. No wonder the NL old guard were so aghast at such a possibility!

If the history of the NL is such a great weight around its shoulders (the ‘second oldest’ line always gets an airing), perhaps it’s time for it to bite the dust and a new organisation to operate on the current and future needs of its members rather than feeling the need to stand up to the standards of an incomparable bygone era.

The pyramid has continually evolved, his claim it’s a 19-year process is flawed, it’s a constant process which will continue into the future-not always to everyone’s liking of course, but that is inevitable when you have many competing interests.

His little dig about a more conciliatory tone making no difference is just bitterness. A few years of warm words won’t make up for decades of isolationist dogma spouted from the NL pulpit. The NL is sliding down the pyramid and much of the credit must go to the league’s management over the last 25 years.

And if the current NL team need feedback as to why their bid failed, they can just read-back their reactionary statement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:39 pm 

“A few years of warm words won’t make up for decades of isolationist dogma spouted from the NL pulpit” ha ha love it, pretty much sums it up. Every season from the beginning of the last decade amos banged on about a tweed to humber league and now its finally happening him and others are complaining, you could not make it up. Are they annoyed as things aint been done in there terms and the fa have over-ruled them. If compulsory promotion did not come in these reforms would never work

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:19 pm 

Whilst I don't agree with Mikes slightly OTT look at the situation I have said this before and will say it again I don't remember Mike stopping any ambitious club from taking promotion nor did he have the power to. Clubs in the NE could make their own minds up and indeed someone earlier asked the question of Marske Utd if they regretted not taking promotion when they won the ENL a few years ago. It was the clubs choice and not Mike Amos choice whether promotion was taken or not. Mike only wanted the best for the ENL and maybe at times rubbed the Fa up the wrong way and yes maybe the ENL current management are paying for those moves now but essentially the ENL was never going to get hold of the new step 4 league with or without the past problems as the NPL was already running the other two at step 4 so were the absolute obvious choice. As I said an OTT reaction from Mike (and the ENL management committee) but I think some comments here have been far too harsh on Mike Amos as he stood up for this league no matter what. (and I enjoyed the trips to Wembley 8) :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:10 pm 

Cestrian wrote:
Whilst I don't agree with Mikes slightly OTT look at the situation I have said this before and will say it again I don't remember Mike stopping any ambitious club from taking promotion nor did he have the power to. Clubs in the NE could make their own minds up and indeed someone earlier asked the question of Marske Utd if they regretted not taking promotion when they won the ENL a few years ago. It was the clubs choice and not Mike Amos choice whether promotion was taken or not. Mike only wanted the best for the ENL and maybe at times rubbed the Fa up the wrong way and yes maybe the ENL current management are paying for those moves now but essentially the ENL was never going to get hold of the new step 4 league with or without the past problems as the NPL was already running the other two at step 4 so were the absolute obvious choice. As I said an OTT reaction from Mike (and the ENL management committee) but I think some comments here have been far too harsh on Mike Amos as he stood up for this league no matter what. (and I enjoyed the trips to Wembley 8) :lol: )

He did nothing to support those clubs and without enforced promotion I wouldn’t really blame clubs for turning it down

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:32 pm 

Wack wrote:
Mr Pip wrote:
Seems what goes around comes around.

You can't spend years arguing with and fighting the FA and then go cap in hand wanting to run a new league for them. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the FA committee laughed their heads off behind closed doors.

I enjoyed the northern league adventure, hell we won the league and the League cup and came a whisker away from playing at Wembley but the the way the EvoStik is ran is just a lot more professional but doesn't sacrifice what we all love about non league football.
The connection between players and fans is still there, the travelling isn't anywhere near as bad as folks would make out is and the rewards are better.

Out of interest,do the officials that run your Club admit they were wrong to refuse promotion in 2015, based on what you know now ?

I wouldn't have a clue.
What difference would that have made?
Took Spennymoor years to go up and look where they are now so you could argue that their plan worked.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:14 am 

Amos is at it again. Penny Dreadful in writing.

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 am 

Interpol wrote:
Amos is at it again. Penny Dreadful in writing.

Here is his blog https://mikeamosblog.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:17 am 

Love Mikes prose or hate it can you argue with the premise about Saturday afternoon football especially in Co Durham. One Saturday league left!!! Yesterday teams were put forward as POTENTIAL movers and shakers as far as i can see most were very much potential not set in stone definite movers. Our footprint apparently extending south gives us a league where no-one has moved in years and the one POTENTIAL candidate put forward is currently in 11th place in that league. I still maintain that there is just not the clubs to fill the vacancies that will occur unless standards drop dramatically at step 6. If those of you who have anything to do or have had any involvement in the past in building up a club to level 6 standard and better and are happy to go to grounds with a fence around the pitch, no social facilities, no floodlights and no seats or covered standing, no hard standing then fair enough. Shockingly only 2 out of 47 leagues at step 7 adhere to the FA ground grading rules, this says it all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:24 am 

When will he stop churning out this shyte! Other leagues up and down the country at step 7 loose teams due to restructures and promotions its how football works.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 am 

Cestrian wrote:
Love Mikes prose or hate it can you argue with the premise about Saturday afternoon football especially in Co Durham. One Saturday league left!!! Yesterday teams were put forward as POTENTIAL movers and shakers as far as i can see most were very much potential not set in stone definite movers. Our footprint apparently extending south gives us a league where no-one has moved in years and the one POTENTIAL candidate put forward is currently in 11th place in that league. I still maintain that there is just not the clubs to fill the vacancies that will occur unless standards drop dramatically at step 6. If those of you who have anything to do or have had any involvement in the past in building up a club to level 6 standard and better and are happy to go to grounds with a fence around the pitch, no social facilities, no floodlights and no seats or covered standing, no hard standing then fair enough. Shockingly only 2 out of 47 leagues at step 7 adhere to the FA ground grading rules, this says it all.

The demise in saturday afternoon football has been going on for a few year now. Teams will still have leagues to play in but the leagues will just be controlled by existing leagues e.g. wearside league development division

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:03 am 

Cestrian wrote:

That is the current situation and nobody is saying that they are happy to play at grounds with ropes etc

The point is that if that has to happen in the short term whilst clubs get stability and time to improve infrastructure whilst whole sale changes are taking place, is not the end of the world.

Give it a few years and I’m sure that we will be seeing clubs moving back in to the NL from above.

It’s a changing landscape but not a particular bleak one, just a different one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:10 am 

Mike quotes "Many correspondents ponder breaking free from the FA stranglehold. " . I would be interested to know how many, and what involvement those correspondents have at grass roots level.

Having read both Mikes blogs from today and yesterday ( I do find his writing a little difficult to follow, but perhaps Im a little thick) I am unsure what he purports should happen. The evidence suggests that the Clubs now want to be active in the pyramid, and the fans certainly do. Morpeth have witnessed 125% increase in support this season. Marske's gates are also up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:38 am 

Well whether people agree or not regarding promotion and it's virtually impossible to make a case against promotion, the Northern League as we've known it seemingly forever will be gone inside 10 years or so.
Think the Wearside League now and that's about where it will be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:38 am 

Dont think we will see clubs with just glorified park pitches in the northern league yet. If theres no relegations the northern league will need only 1 club from each feeder league, maybe 2 max, easily done, promoted clubs can apply for more grants and clubs will know any improvements wont be in vain as they needn’t necessarily win the league to go up. Going forward shortages will be addressed by not relegating clubs until clubs come back down into the northern league which will happen especially as one season wonder teams will be promoted who in the past would have declined

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:48 am 

Sea View wrote:
Well whether people agree or not regarding promotion and it's virtually impossible to make a case against promotion, the Northern League as we've known it seemingly forever will be gone inside 10 years or so.
Think the Wearside League now and that's about where it will be.

Why do you think it will be gone?

Don’t understand these comments at all?

It’s a well run league that will continue to be a well run one, yes challenges ahead as the landscape changes, but positive challenges in terms of more fluidity

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next