It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 9:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Stanley United
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:41 pm 

Stanley is only 2 miles from Crook, probably slightly less but its 2 miles uphill. Its a bit like Tow Law with a climate of its own, ive seen Stanley covered in a foot of snow and nothing whatsoever here in Crook.
I was up there a couple of weeks ago at the old ground, its a real sorry state now, strange standing in there with the goalposts still there picturing the massive crowds they used to get for the local derbies with us, Tow Law, Willington and Bishop Auckland. Sometimes there would be a few thousand in there.
Vince was Mr Stanley Utd once over, he used to do everything there for lots of years.
Stanley Utd were a very special club alright.

http://www.crooktownfc.co.uk

CROOK TOWN 12 BISHOP HORSELAND 1.

C.T.C.

"IF TETLEY PUT THE T IN TEA, WHO PUT THE C*** IN SCUNTHORPE?"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:23 pm 

Si_kirk wrote:
Wack wrote:
I’ve spent my entire interest in non league football thinking Stanley played in Stanley ... wow . Still amazed the Town of Stanley appears to have no football representation at a senior level

Me too stanley joins barnard castle, houghton le spring, corbridge, hexham, thirsk, haltwhistle and barnard castle as towns in the northern leagues area that have never had a team at that levelnot higher

Annfield Plain AFC in the Wearside League are in Stanley (not Crook Stanley).
They have been trying to develop and grow but there is little support in the town. People don't seem to have an interest.

It's a shame.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 pm 

Coldest place I have ever played!

"Follow Follow"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:41 pm 

apgibson wrote:
Si_kirk wrote:
Wack wrote:
I’ve spent my entire interest in non league football thinking Stanley played in Stanley ... wow . Still amazed the Town of Stanley appears to have no football representation at a senior level

Me too stanley joins barnard castle, houghton le spring, corbridge, hexham, thirsk, haltwhistle and barnard castle as towns in the northern leagues area that have never had a team at that levelnot higher

Annfield Plain AFC in the Wearside League are in Stanley (not Crook Stanley).
They have been trying to develop and grow but there is little support in the town. People don't seem to have an interest.

It's a shame.

Never knew annfield plains ground was in stanley. I do know they are a old team but often wondered why they never got higher than the wearside league

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:52 am 

Cestrian wrote:
I guess you could add Tynemouth, Cramlington and Longbenton/Killingworth to the list. AFC Killingworth are making a run for the Alliance title this season but I have no idea about their ground etc. Also didn't Haltwhistle CP (crown paints) play in the alliance first division once upon a time.

p.s. Wack - don't tell the people of Eppleton they are in Houghton LS or even Hetton !!!!! very proud ex mining community.

Always been disappointed that Hexham have never had a decent side as the facilities at the Wentworth Leisure centre used to be good and Corbridge is a rugby town home of Tynedale, they have a lovely facility down by the river (and a cracking beer festival every year!!!)

Don't forget Amble and Berwick too. Both Amble and Berwick, as well as Hexham had some good Alliance sides, but for whatever reason they all folded. Shame really.

You're right about Haltwhistle CP. You can still see where they used to play, just south of the A69 right next to the river.

'Say, hey Johnny boy, the battle call
United we stand, divided we fall
Together we are what we can't be alone
We came to this country, you made it our home.'

Dropkick Murphys - 'Boys on the Dock'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:46 pm 

TUSSFC wrote:
Cestrian wrote:
I guess you could add Tynemouth, Cramlington and Longbenton/Killingworth to the list. AFC Killingworth are making a run for the Alliance title this season but I have no idea about their ground etc. Also didn't Haltwhistle CP (crown paints) play in the alliance first division once upon a time.

p.s. Wack - don't tell the people of Eppleton they are in Houghton LS or even Hetton !!!!! very proud ex mining community.

Always been disappointed that Hexham have never had a decent side as the facilities at the Wentworth Leisure centre used to be good and Corbridge is a rugby town home of Tynedale, they have a lovely facility down by the river (and a cracking beer festival every year!!!)

AFC Killi's ground has decent facilities - just needs some seats/cover and it would easily be NL standard. It would probably be better than some existing NL grounds such as Brandon.

There are a lot worse grounds around than Brandon's,been too many of them.all ground ds have their faults.strange IV never been to the hilltop to watch a game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:28 pm 

Sea View wrote:
Sad to see.
Visited that ground many times and it was always a pleasure in a perverse sort of way!
It just shows you how society's changed that such an isolated outpost could sustain a top Northern League side for many years.

Very sad indeed and I echo your sentiment regarding the change in society - even in the short decade since I played NL it seems like the landscape now is unrecognisable to what it was then. I think there’s a big correlation regarding Sunday football in the same breath too.

For the older members - what was the makeup of Stanley United in terms of players, helpers and supporters? I worked on a job in Stanley Crook last year around this time for a month or so and it is the epitome of a one horse town. Has it always been like that? I can’t imagine the village ever having enough numbers to sustain Northern League football, I can’t imagine they could even muster interest for a Sunday league side nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:12 pm 

ian_brown wrote:
I worked on a job in Stanley Crook last year around this time for a month or so and it is the epitome of a one horse town. Has it always been like that?
Before the two collieries closed there were well over 1,000 men employed by them and the miners' families would have at least quadrupled the population. In 2001 the population was only 405. My grandfather was born in Wooley Terrace in 1876 when his father was working at Wooley Colliery and the terrace was a long line of miners' cottages of which only one now remains.

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 pm 

el Queso Grande wrote:
ian_brown wrote:
I worked on a job in Stanley Crook last year around this time for a month or so and it is the epitome of a one horse town. Has it always been like that?
Before the two collieries closed there were well over 1,000 men employed by them and the miners' families would have at least quadrupled the population. In 2001 the population was only 405. My grandfather was born in Wooley Terrace in 1876 when his father was working at Wooley Colliery and the terrace was a long line of miners' cottages of which only one now remains.

Thanks El, makes a lot of sense now :) .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 pm 

Cestrian wrote:

Eppleton CW football ground is bang in the centre of Hetton le hole, Eppleton Cricket Club play up Hetton Downs, so like it or not its all part of Hetton, what is bloody annoying is the post office regard Hetton as part of the boar hunters down the road, its not bloody houghton