It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Stanley United
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:53 am 

Another former Northern League ground that's fading away. I stopped off here on my way home from Evenwood at the weekend - and kept a safe distance from the horses! Many thanks to David Bauckham and Centre Circle Publishing for the use of some photos when the Hilltop Ground was still in use. More on the blog at https://groundhoppers.blog/2019/03/07/hilltop-grazing/

Post subject: Re: Stanley United
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:08 pm 

Sad to see.
Visited that ground many times and it was always a pleasure in a perverse sort of way!
It just shows you how society's changed that such an isolated outpost could sustain a top Northern League side for many years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:28 pm 

I used to love going there. For my first visit, my dad took me to a FA Cup tie against Crook when I was about 14-15. He said I would never forget going to that ground, the way he said it I was expecting something a lot posher! I don't remember much about the game apart from being cold. We travelled from Sunderland on public transport which must have taken most of the day. One other thing I remember was that dad showed me the house where his own dad had been born in 1876, just along the road from the ground.

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:15 pm 

I find it amazing that a Town with the population of Stanley couldn't support a non-league team. Its bigger than Spennymoor and Bishop Auckland.

Is there potentially another team from the Town that could progress, or is there no potential facilities ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 pm 

Wack wrote:
I find it amazing that a Town with the population of Stanley couldn't support a non-league team. Its bigger than Spennymoor and Bishop Auckland.

Is there potentially another team from the Town that could progress, or is there no potential facilities ?

Ha ha get what you are saying but this is about another stanley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:12 pm 

Si_kirk wrote:
Wack wrote:

Silly me, I though we were talking about a Town in North East Durham , is there two ? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:18 pm 

Wack wrote:
Si_kirk wrote:
Wack wrote:

Silly me, I though we were talking about a Town in North East Durham , is there two ? :shock:
Yes. Stanley United played in the village of Stanley Crook, not the town called Stanley. The two places are 12 miles or so apart.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:29 pm 

el Queso Grande wrote:
Wack wrote:
Yes. Stanley United played in the village of Stanley Crook, not the town called Stanley. The two places are 12 miles or so apart.
If you enter High Road, Stanley Crook, Crook into the search box on Google Maps satellite view, the ground is just visible on the west side of High Road.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:49 pm 

Groundhoppers.net wrote:
Another former Northern League ground that's fading away. I stopped off here on my way home from Evenwood at the weekend - and kept a safe distance from the horses! Many thanks to David Bauckham and Centre Circle Publishing for the use of some photos when the Hilltop Ground was still in use. More on the blog at https://groundhoppers.blog/2019/03/07/hilltop-grazing/

Superb reads. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:53 pm 

I’ve spent my entire interest in non league football thinking Stanley played in Stanley ... wow . Still amazed the Town of Stanley appears to have no football representation at a senior level

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 pm 

Wack wrote:
I’ve spent my entire interest in non league football thinking Stanley played in Stanley ... wow . Still amazed the Town of Stanley appears to have no football representation at a senior level

Me too stanley joins barnard castle, houghton le spring, corbridge, hexham, thirsk, haltwhistle and barnard castle as towns in the northern leagues area that have never had a team at that levelnot higher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 am 

Si_kirk wrote:
Wack wrote:

Me too stanley joins barnard castle, houghton le spring, corbridge, hexham, thirsk, haltwhistle and barnard castle as towns in the northern leagues area that have never had a team at that levelnot higher

Barnard Castle had a Wearside league team once, and I guess Eppleton was in effect Houghton le Spring . I understand Thirsk Falcons are moving to a facility that may become step 7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:05 am 

Im sure that is the legend known as Vince Kirkup in the first picture standing to the side he was the epitome of Stanley United and one of the coldest places ive ever played football and in August as well!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:42 pm 

I guess you could add Tynemouth, Cramlington and Longbenton/Killingworth to the list. AFC Killingworth are making a run for the Alliance title this season but I have no idea about their ground etc. Also didn't Haltwhistle CP (crown paints) play in the alliance first division once upon a time.

p.s. Wack - don't tell the people of Eppleton they are in Houghton LS or even Hetton !!!!! very proud ex mining community.

Always been disappointed that Hexham have never had a decent side as the facilities at the Wentworth Leisure centre used to be good and Corbridge is a rugby town home of Tynedale, they have a lovely facility down by the river (and a cracking beer festival every year!!!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:37 pm 

Cestrian wrote:
I guess you could add Tynemouth, Cramlington and Longbenton/Killingworth to the list. AFC Killingworth are making a run for the Alliance title this season but I have no idea about their ground etc. Also didn't Haltwhistle CP (crown paints) play in the alliance first division once upon a time.

p.s. Wack - don't tell the people of Eppleton they are in Houghton LS or even Hetton !!!!! very proud ex mining community.

Always been disappointed that Hexham have never had a decent side as the facilities at the Wentworth Leisure centre used to be good and Corbridge is a rugby town home of Tynedale, they have a lovely facility down by the river (and a cracking beer festival every year!!!)

AFC Killi's ground has decent facilities - just needs some seats/cover and it would easily be NL standard. It would probably be better than some existing NL grounds such as Brandon.