It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Evenwood Town
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:00 pm 

Not been in the Northern League for a while, but the name is still going in the Crook & District League so I took the blog along to see what's left of what I remembered from watching them in the Northern League. Not much, turned out to be the answer. https://groundhoppers.blog/2019/03/03/a ... dits-roll/

Post subject: Re: Evenwood Town
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:32 pm 

Groundhoppers.net wrote:
Not been in the Northern League for a while, but the name is still going in the Crook & District League so I took the blog along to see what's left of what I remembered from watching them in the Northern League. Not much, turned out to be the answer. https://groundhoppers.blog/2019/03/03/a ... dits-roll/

An enjoyable read.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:55 pm 

Good read. Got thinking about evenwood the other day with reading about north ferriby. How did the evenwood and soennymoor merger come about and how did the relocation get passed when so many leagues block such moves

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:03 am 

Si_kirk wrote:
Good read. Got thinking about evenwood the other day with reading about north ferriby. How did the evenwood and soennymoor merger come about and how did the relocation get passed when so many leagues block such moves
There was never any merger, in 2005 the name of Evenwood Town was simply changed to Spennymoor Town and the club then began playing at the Brewery Field which was the vacant former home of the defunct Spennymoor United and which carried the required ground grading. All quite legal and above board.

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:06 pm 

el Queso Grande wrote:
Si_kirk wrote:
There was never any merger, in 2005 the name of Evenwood Town was simply changed to Spennymoor Town and the club then began playing at the Brewery Field which was the vacant former home of the defunct Spennymoor United and which carried the required ground grading. All quite legal and above board.

Name changes happen often but leagues seem against moves sure not as easy as rugby.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:16 pm 

el Queso Grande wrote:
Si_kirk wrote:

For me it shouldn't have been allowed, however I appreciate that by all accounts Evenwood would not have continued anyhow.

Something just seems wrong about taking another clubs place in a league, changing the name and moving where they play.

As a Darlo fan it didn't quite sit well with me when we done the same to Horden for our reserve team in the Wearside League. Again Horden were happy but it just doesn't seem right.

Maybe it's from years of disagreeing with the FA allowing MK Dons to exist and dump Wimbledon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:17 pm 

super_les wrote:
el Queso Grande wrote:
Si_kirk wrote:

For me it shouldn't have been allowed, however I appreciate that by all accounts Evenwood would not have continued anyhow.

Something just seems wrong about taking another clubs place in a league, changing the name and moving where they play.

As a Darlo fan it didn't quite sit well with me when we done the same to Horden for our reserve team in the Wearside League. Again Horden were happy but it just doesn't seem right.

Maybe it's from years of disagreeing with the FA allowing MK Dons to exist and dump Wimbledon.

Not sure who sanctioned it at evenwoods end but was there any financial gain in it i wonder. Evenwood did seem to have poor support so cant imagine many put up a fight