It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Durham University 1sts 6-0 Ryton & Crawcrook Albion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 pm 

https://wp.me/p4i04N-4Jq

Here's what I made of tonight's friendly between Durham University and Ryton & Crawcrook Albion where Durham won 6-0.

Post subject: Re: Durham University 1sts 6-0 Ryton & Crawcrook Albion
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:51 pm 

An interesting result Connor. Were Ryton at full strength?, are the students that good? I assume the game was on the 3G pitch and not on the grass pitch at the middle of the running track. I wonder why the Uni 1sts have never entered a local league a la Newcastle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:26 pm 

Cestrian wrote:
An interesting result Connor. Were Ryton at full strength?, are the students that good? I assume the game was on the 3G pitch and not on the grass pitch at the middle of the running track. I wonder why the Uni 1sts have never entered a local league a la Newcastle

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Newcastle Uni have players that are not attending University as they cant guarantee the intake will be as good as those leaving . Maybe Durham only play from actual Students. I'm sure someone knows if that's the case

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:08 pm 

University Students normally start their term mid to late September. They finish the same term in the middle of December and will be away until well past the start of January.
Whilst they may have the facilities and at times a team good enough to compete, it just wouldn't be practical to arrange fixtures around them.
Northumberia Uni has lots of local Students, Durham will have some but many will come from far and wide and won't be around at the end of academic terms.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:33 pm 

On the furthest 3G pitch from the buildings. I've never seen a game on the new pitch with the track round. Looked like at least most of Ryton's full squad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 pm 

University teams and squads doesn’t really fit with the NL or national pyramid. Loads of reasons, students come and go hard to have continuity with players, funding is generally from the uni, for university activities to benefit students. University’s has their own sports structure taking place on a Wednesday. Not saying it can’t hapoen, as some have proved it here in the North East, as have team bath previously. But what happened at team bath is essential what’s happened to team northumbria here, proving it’s difficult when it’s not the primary focus of the organisation