It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:46 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Slaughter of the innocents..
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:15 pm 

I have been involved in adult and youth football for most of my life, at all levels and still get to watch both pretty regular.

It has recently became more apparent to me the lack of players coming out of youth football looking to play Northern league, Wearside league but especially local sunday leagues, which are in the main dying a death.

I see youth/junior players playing saturdays/sundays, some, for a team on a morning, and a team on the afternoon. training, 2-3 times a week, midweek tournaments and even during times when the Russel foster or Tjfa are finished, tournaments fill every hour of the supposed resting times.

By the time they get to 15/16 the kids are totally sick of football, and who is to blame for this? Parents need to manage their own kids rather than encouraging them to play every day for long hours. Local FA need to manage leagues/tournaments better instead of looking for ways to fill the coffers. There are some very good youth coaches out there, some are an absolute, clueless joke.

The best young players will also be introduced to the massive net that certain pro clubs in the area hand out. Kids who dont have a hope in hell of making it at pro level but the clubs in question encourage their scouts to "get them in" in case they miss anyone.

All this for me, with the current social climate is having a massive knock on effect on our local leagues and is what is killing our game at grassroots level.

Post subject: Re: Slaughter of the innocents..
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:14 pm 

Totally disagree that kids are playing too much and therefore sick of football by the time they are 15/16. Its just not true. I, and many people I know currently in their late 30's/early 40's, played every night after school for 2, 3 maybe 4 hours. Everyday. Played for teams Saturdays and Sundays. Still playing now.

I do agree the academy system does seem to take more kids in these days, and inevitably more get spat back out. Does that put some off, do some have an attitude of, if I'm not playing pro 5hen I'm not playing? I've no idea but anyone who gets in with a pro club should just enjoy the ride, the better coaching and better facilities.

There are a lot of outside influences on teenagers these days, but there always have been, they've just changed over the times.

Money is a big thing, 20 years ago, if you ran a local Sunday team and needed a sponsor all you had to do was pick a pub in the town who didn't already have a team, go in and ask and bingo, your pitch fees were paid, you got a new strip, lads didn't have to worry about paying a fiver subs every Sunday morning like they do these days.

Post subject: Re: Slaughter of the innocents..
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:52 am 

andy_pool wrote:
Totally disagree that kids are playing too much and therefore sick of football by the time they are 15/16. Its just not true. I, and many people I know currently in their late 30's/early 40's, played every night after school for 2, 3 maybe 4 hours. Everyday. Played for teams Saturdays and Sundays. Still playing now.

I do agree the academy system does seem to take more kids in these days, and inevitably more get spat back out. Does that put some off, do some have an attitude of, if I'm not playing pro 5hen I'm not playing? I've no idea but anyone who gets in with a pro club should just enjoy the ride, the better coaching and better facilities.

There are a lot of outside influences on teenagers these days, but there always have been, they've just changed over the times.

Money is a big thing, 20 years ago, if you ran a local Sunday team and needed a sponsor all you had to do was pick a pub in the town who didn't already have a team, go in and ask and bingo, your pitch fees were paid, you got a new strip, lads didn't have to worry about paying a fiver subs every Sunday morning like they do these days.

Andy we are talking about young players 6 yr old upwards, you cannot seriously believe that the battering they are getting is doing them any good physically and mentally?. Bones and muscles are not developed for the amount of game time andtraining they endour. You obviously havent seen what I have seen.

By the time they are 16 there are many whom are mentaly and physically drained to furnish their parents dreams of having the "next" Wayne Rooney.

Your comparison of late 30/40 isnt realistic, the 30/40s of today didnt have the intense multi boys club culture they do these days.

I will give you an example of a friend of mines 8 year old, plays for 2 boys clubs, is in at Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Sunderland development. His father proudly bragged he plays or trains everyday of the week. :roll:

Parents should take care of their kids, manage them, get them in with a club with level headed coaches without Mourinho egos who will let the kids develop their own way and guide them rather than sickening them with false hope and unrealistic targets.

Nail on the head about the sponsorship side of things though but as I said all part of the social enviroment we are in.