It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:35 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Standard of second division refs.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:03 pm 

I have been a Billingham Town supporter for over eight years and I’m enjoying the magnificent run we are on. However, the standard of refereeing has dipped alarmingly this season. The majority of the poor refereeing has actually been at Bedford Terrace rather than at away games. What that tells me I don’t know. Either the local refs are not up to standard, or are they being influenced by our noisy fans? It’s not a coincidence. I have had discussions with fans, coaches from other clubs and many are complaining of inconsistency. And I can vouch for that. Also, most of the bad games, an assessor has been present. The league needs to review its refereeing list of the way it conducts its assessments.

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.

Post subject: Re: Standard of second division refs.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:10 pm 

Indeed witnessed some poor performances. However they dont seem to have had a negative impact on Billingham Town this season so far :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:17 pm 

Yes it may seem surprising to moan but in fairness our football has been top notch. If I was say in Thornaby's position and it had an effect on results then I would be furious because of the pressures involved over one promotion spot.

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:28 pm 

Indeed, we have only ourselves to blame at the moment rather than sketchy ref decisions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:11 pm 

Genuinely and generally,the refereeing weve had hasn't been that bad and that's has been reflected in the marks given.however if you read my post on our own thread reference the west Allotment game you will realise that last week was definitely a one off(hopefully).I mentioned the word pathetic,I think it was an insult to the word pathetic.disrespectful aswell and that's the worst thing.we can all make mistakes no doubt but having that attitude stinks.im never a bad loser as people that know me know that and allotment will agree with me as they were as frustrated with the officials performance as we were and they won deservedly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:25 pm 

I think it’s massively declining, standard this season has been very poor.

Personally think a lot is down to young Coaches being taught the rules / laws rather than actually decision making on fouls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:54 am 

The horrific inconsistencies throughout games are making the officials seem bad. NTFC v Washington and Bedlington had a mirror incident - last man fouling the striker with no attempt to get the ball, one ref gave a red and the other a yellow. I don't mind fouls or cards being given throughout games as long as they are given consistently.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:49 am 

england wrote:

Personally think a lot is down to young Coaches being taught the rules / laws rather than actually decision making on fouls

Coaches know the rules mate but on numerous occasions this season we have had opposition that have appealed every single decision even the blatant and obvious ones. The behaviour of some opposition management this season has been embarrassing. That obviously can't help refs and in turn sends out the wrong message to their players.

However we played Bedlington last week and a ref was given a torrent of abuse by a player and he was cautioned now if the ref doesn't have the balls to deal with that then he's on a hiding to nothing straight away.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:14 am 

marron04 wrote:
england wrote:

Coaches know the rules mate but on numerous occasions this season we have had opposition that have appealed every single decision even the blatant and obvious ones. The behaviour of some opposition management this season has been embarrassing. That obviously can't help refs and in turn sends out the wrong message to their players.

However we played Bedlington last week and a ref was given a torrent of abuse by a player and he was cautioned now if the ref doesn't have the balls to deal with that then he's on a hiding to nothing straight away.

Sorry my original point should have said young referees not coaches.

I do agree with your point though, many coaches use that method to try and influence the game. I’m sure you have been involved in many games that have been officiated by who shouts the loads officials

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:03 am 

I've been to a few second division games this season and I think the referees have done well, it can be an impossible job at times so these lads should be congratulated for having the guts to do it in the first place. If it wasn't for the referees (whatever their capabilities) there would be no match at all

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 am 

I think you need to remember the level of football you’re watching. I have no problem with the standard , it’s acceptable for the 10th rung of English football

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:58 pm 

barnes1 wrote:
I've been to a few second division games this season and I think the referees have done well, it can be an impossible job at times so these lads should be congratulated for having the guts to do it in the first place. If it wasn't for the referees (whatever their capabilities) there would be no match at all

If it wasn’t for players, managers etc there also wouldn’t be any games