It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mike Amos’s blog ‘Grass Routes’
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:36 am 

With the obligation for our champion club to take promotion and with the second place club probably getting promoted as well this will make the ENL weaker and weaker but this is what has happened to step 5 leagues all over the country and is their argument as to why the Northern league has been so strong in the vase - a debatable point. However the new step 4 league for the NE, Yorkshire etc corridor will make the league very weak in one fell swoop. We will lose 5 or 6 teams to this new league so 5 or 6 teams will be needed from the feeder leagues making them very much weaker as well. With the fact that local football is dying underneath the "pyramid" leagues, a discussion that has been had on here many times, then this could result in the demise of one of the feeders to ENL 2 as there will be a lack of clubs able to compete at that level. The alliance looks strong with its 3 well subscribed leagues but the other two feeders look weak in comparison with a few reserve teams propping up the Wearside which are always the first to go if finances wane. I can only see problems for the north east non league scene ahead, I hope I am wrong

p.s. interesting what the FA will do over ground gradings when the re-shuffle takes place at the end of next season

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:32 pm 

The outcome of this is inevitable.
The FA is simply burying it’s head in the sand with the state of the game beneath pyramid level.
In the North East beneath the Wearside and Alliance League’s it barely exists there’s nothing and it seems the FA is oblivious to this such is their obsession with the Pyramid.
As Cestrian says the league is becoming weaker and that will simply be accelarated with the creation of the new step 4 league.
There just isn’t the clubs around beneath Pyramid Level to sustain this.
In 5 years time the Northern League will be a pale imitation of what it has been.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:12 pm 

Is there still any discussion between the Wearside League & the Crook & Disrict League. I know that the objective was for it to become part of the Development league. But it didn’t happen in the end!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:56 pm 

Windy1970 wrote:
Is there still any discussion between the Wearside League & the Crook & Disrict League. I know that the objective was for it to become part of the Development league. But it didn’t happen in the end!

Forgot that still existed, alot of such league have fallen by the wayside

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:32 pm 

Don’t think there is any doubt that it will weaken the NL, but the FA don’t care about that. It arguably will make the pyramid more balanced and competitive, which is what they want.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:23 pm 

england wrote:
Don’t think there is any doubt that it will weaken the NL, but the FA don’t care about that. It arguably will make the pyramid more balanced and competitive, which is what they want.

The league has been protecting its own intrests for far too long. Loads of leagues at step 5 have lost a load of there best teams who have taken chances to move up as a result of restructurieng and such league like the ncel keep on going. As i keep saying it wont be as weak once teams start to come down, bound to be a team who win the league on a whim like a leicester city and come straight back down

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Sea View wrote:
As Cestrian says the league is becoming weaker and that will simply be accelarated with the creation of the new step 4 league.
In 5 years time the Northern League will be a pale imitation of what it has been.

Can you explain why that is a bad thing?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:33 am 

I can’t fully understand Mike Amos’s mindset. If the better NL1 clubs move up a level & are in a more suitable league for their standard & the NL actually wins the the right to run this league. Then what is the problem? I know everyone & his dog assumes that the NPL are going to apply & are going to win the rights. But it doesn’t mean they actually will do!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:40 am 

Si_kirk wrote:
england wrote:

The league has been protecting its own intrests for far too long. Loads of leagues at step 5 have lost a load of there best teams who have taken chances to move up as a result of restructurieng and such league like the ncel keep on going. As i keep saying it wont be as weak once teams start to come down, bound to be a team who win the league on a whim like a leicester city and come straight back down

They have created the problem for themselves, if there had been fluid movement up and down for years we wouldn’t be talking about losing 6 clubs etc

The problem is that because there has been little upwards movement it obviously means there has been little downward movement. To put the problems right the NL is going to take a short term battering, which is going to put it under a lot of pressure to try and address the balance. Pretty sure the likes of Alnwick and Stokeskey would welcome the opportunity to step back up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:59 pm 

Location: Westerhope...formerly Bedlington - Home to the most successful team in Wansbeck
Sea View wrote:
The outcome of this is inevitable.
The FA is simply burying it’s head in the sand with the state of the game beneath pyramid level.
In the North East beneath the Wearside and Alliance League’s it barely exists there’s nothing and it seems the FA is oblivious to this such is their obsession with the Pyramid.

It's already that now thanks to decades of previous reluctance to properly participate in the pyramid. Don't forget, the NL was given the opportunity to be the fourth feeder (along with NPL/IPL/SPL) when the Alliance Premier League was created in the late 70's - it was that prominent a League in those days.

Look at it now

Dave Anderson
http://www.bedlingtonterriersfc.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:11 pm 

Well I think people are missing the point.
We can argue about the rights and wrongs of the Pyramid system, compulsory promotion or whatever, but there’s simply nothing below.
There’ll come a time probably in 10 years or so when the watered down Northern League will be at the bottom of the structure, there’s simply not enough clubs to sustain this.
If people think that’s ultimately a good thing then fair enough.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:09 pm 

Sea View wrote:
We can argue about the rights and wrongs of the Pyramid system, compulsory promotion or whatever, but there’s simply nothing below.
There’ll come a time probably in 10 years or so when the watered down Northern League will be at the bottom of the structure, there’s simply not enough clubs to sustain this.

Heaton Stan, Jarrow, Redcar, Birtley, West Alottment, Easington, have all been promoted in recent years. Stokelsley, Alnwick relegated out. Applications from 3 teams this year from feeder leagues, with talks of others being interested.

I’m not saying that it’s thriving below, but I don’t think it’s as bad as you are making out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:53 pm 

england wrote:
Sea View wrote:

Heaton Stan, Jarrow, Redcar, Birtley, West Alottment, Easington, have all been promoted in recent years. Stokelsley, Alnwick relegated out. Applications from 3 teams this year from feeder leagues, with talks of others being interested.

I’m not saying that it’s thriving below, but I don’t think it’s as bad as you are making out.

I'm talking about below the Wearside and Alliance, there's virtually nothing.
I believe the only Saturday adult league going beneath that level is the Crook & District League.
It's alarming considering how many leagues there were up to 10/15/20 years ago.
It will impact eventually simply through lack of ambitious clubs and the diminished talent pool.
My point is that the FA has been so pre-occupied with sorting the Pyramid out, at the bottom end, the real grass roots it seems totally oblivious as to what's happening and this will impact further up the ladder, it's happening now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 pm 

The biggest issue is that younger people have so much more on offer these days. They go off to Uni & lose touch with their local community. So that’s why grassroot clubs are disappearing at an alarming level.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:57 pm 

Sea View wrote:
I'm talking about below the Wearside and Alliance, there's virtually nothing.
I believe the only Saturday adult league going beneath that level is the Crook & District League.

In Northumberland below the Alliance there are the two divisions of the North Northumberland League, the Tyneside Amateur and The Newcastle Corinthian League. Probably not as many as there used to be however.

As an aside as far as I can see grassroots football is thriving in North Tyneside, just not at 11 a side. The number of young people playing football in organised teams is huge, there is hardly an empty pitch on a Saturday morning and a lot still wish to play football as they get older but, and this is the problem, they are doing it on a five side pitch on a midweek evening when it fits in around jobs and family commitments. The numbers of Monday to Friday jobs are reducing, people working weekends are quite common, or working away or late through the week. Women are working so family men have to look after the kids on a Saturday (or maybe they have them at the weekend). The Northumberland FA tried a Friday night league, and as it fitted around busy schedules it has become hugely successful. Other sports have become far more prevalent as well. At my work place outside of rugby players which was always around I know guys in their twenties who competitively run, do triathlons, time trial cycling, rowing or play basketball or hockey. Saturday afternoon football at an end, no I don't think so, but rather than the FA I would point at societal change as the reason why we will have less.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next