It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 9:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Mike Amos’s blog ‘Grass Routes’
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:11 am 

aidan's father wrote:
Sea View wrote:
I'm talking about below the Wearside and Alliance, there's virtually nothing.
I believe the only Saturday adult league going beneath that level is the Crook & District League.

In Northumberland below the Alliance there are the two divisions of the North Northumberland League, the Tyneside Amateur and The Newcastle Corinthian League. Probably not as many as there used to be however.

As an aside as far as I can see grassroots football is thriving in North Tyneside, just not at 11 a side. The number of young people playing football in organised teams is huge, there is hardly an empty pitch on a Saturday morning and a lot still wish to play football as they get older but, and this is the problem, they are doing it on a five side pitch on a midweek evening when it fits in around jobs and family commitments. The numbers of Monday to Friday jobs are reducing, people working weekends are quite common, or working away or late through the week. Women are working so family men have to look after the kids on a Saturday (or maybe they have them at the weekend). The Northumberland FA tried a Friday night league, and as it fitted around busy schedules it has become hugely successful. Other sports have become far more prevalent as well. At my work place outside of rugby players which was always around I know guys in their twenties who competitively run, do triathlons, time trial cycling, rowing or play basketball or hockey. Saturday afternoon football at an end, no I don't think so, but rather than the FA I would point at societal change as the reason why we will have less.

Well the irony is we have the Sunday Tyne & Wear Youth League which is the biggest youth league in Europe on our doorstep. Kids teams from Under 7 up to Under 18’s but something is happening when kids get to 18 plus many are just not continuing to play. Looking at the lack of Saturday clubs there’s probably not enough to go round!

Post subject: Re: Mike Amos’s blog ‘Grass Routes’
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:05 am 

Football below wearide level for senior teams will decline anyway regardless of the restructuring of the pyramid. Theres far more factors. Im sure extortion pitch hire fees, cost of official and extortionate fines the durnam fa love handing out will put people off entering teams into the saturday leagues. Another thing is alot of saturday morning teams and even northern league teams began as pub teams. Theres been a big decline in traditional pubs and social clubs who would run such sides. More and more pubs are more glorified restraunts and have intrest in sport.