It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: BILLINGHAM TOWN v BILLINGHAM SYNTHONIA PREVIEW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:44 pm 

BILLINGHAM TOWN V BILLINGHAM SYNTHONIA BOXING DAY PREVIEW

Hopefully, a bumper crowd will turn out in force for what promises to be an entertaining derby. The last Boxing Day derby - played at Central Avenue and witnessed by a crowd of over 650 fans, saw a game marred by blustery conditions. Town were in imperious form when they outplayed Synthonia at the Norton Sports Complex a few weeks back and one would imagine a different line up or tactics from Jamie Pollocks embryonic squad.

FOCUS ON THE SYNNERS:
It’s fair to say that the Synners are suffering from inconsistency. Impressive victories at West Allotment and a home thrashing of Chester Le Street were negated by heavy defeats to Bedlington and Town respectively and also losing a two goal advantage to Thornaby. Synners are in essence a top eight club but maybe lack the strength in depth to push further up the table. Both strikers Kallum Hannah and Louis Johnson hardly had a sniff in front of goal in Town’s 4-0 win although Johnson did cause Thornaby one or two problems recently. Recent Guisborough signings Tom Bligh and Alex Bruton will offer attacking options while Ben Pollock invariably gets on the scoresheet. Defender Ryan Grier, who briefly figured for Town in pre-season will marshal the back four. James Fraser and Dom Joynes both had a difficult afternoon facing Luke Hogan and Matty Robinson but Dom Tiffany will probably start at right back after beginning the derby game in midfield. Nico Weatherald, who has been on a long term suspension will become available for selection. Matty Hughes, having left Town for the Synners has yet to cement a place in the starting eleven.

ONE TO WATCH: ALEX BRUTON
Recently signed from Guisborough where the winger was a fringe squad player. Missed the 4-0 defeat on December the 8th. Proved to be influential in Synners 2-2 draw against Thornaby although he did earn and miss a penalty in that game.

RECENT RESULTS:
Billingham Synthonia 2-2 Thornaby (Bligh, Johnson)
Billingham Synthonia 0-4 BILLINGHAM TOWN
West Allotment 0-1 Billingham Synthonia (Bligh)
Billingham Synthonia 4-0 Chester Le Street (Garton, Smith, Bruton, Johnson)
Bedlington 4-0 Billingham Synthonia
Northallerton 1-0 Billingham Synthonia
Billingham Synthonia 1-0 Esh Winning (Hannah)
*Billingham Synthonia 1-1 Ryhope CW (Hannah) - League Cup
*Ryhope won on penalty kicks

Last Visit: April 2017 - Billingham Town 0 Billingham Synthonia 0

TALKING TOWN:
Town have lost only one of the last five derbies against the Synners although admittedly, three of those games ended in draws. Stephen Oakley and Reece Kenney are unlikely to be risked but Joe Hillerby did make the bench over the weekend. Kris Summers is likely to continue central defensive duties alongside Dan Flounders. Both strikers Craig Hutchinson and Ash Lavan are in superb form; Hutchinson has 27 strikes while Lavan is on 9. Jamie Davis follows on 8.

FROM THE DUGOUT:
Myself, Eddy and Pat could not have asked for any more to get to the halfway stage and to be in our position is some achievement from a fantastic group of dedicated players. I would like to say this is no fluke to be where we are as a club and it is down to pure hard work. Synners is a game, where pride takes place, more so for our fans who deserve nothing but praise for supporting ourselves home and away so far this season in unbelievable numbers; so we will be doing our utmost to take the maximum points and hold the bragging rights once again!

MATCH INFORMATION:
Northern League Division Two
Wednesday 26th December, Bedford Terrace, Kick Off 11:00 am.
£5 Adults, £3 Concessions, Under 16s Free

RIP Brian: An avid Town and Synners follower over the years.

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.

Post subject: Re: BILLINGHAM TOWN v BILLINGHAM SYNTHONIA PREVIEW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:10 pm 

Great post, excellent read.

What's the crowd record for a Billingham derby, any idea?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:54 pm 

Cheers Norseman.

Good question. Neil might know but the one at Central Avenue two years ago was the biggest crowd I have seen. Both clubs were chasing promotion at the time. Somewhere between 600 to 700. I’d be disappointed if tomorrow’ isn’t close to 400 but numbers maybe less because of Synthonia’s move to Norton.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:44 am 
Site Admin

No idea to be honest! The 637 from a couple of years ago can't have been too far off I imagine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:23 pm 

Thanks, gentlemen.

Sounds like a bit of a bizarre game today with two Town sendings-off. Did you get your prescribed 400 or so crowd today, Interpol? (Not a bad band that, btw)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:49 pm 

Cheers Norseman.... Yeah I think so too! We got 460 which was great. Game marred by 8 bookings and two reds and I don't blame the players!