It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: What do you want for xmas ???
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:57 pm 

For your club...

# New signings. where does your club need to strengthen, and which players would you go for ?.

# Change of managment/coaches ? again who would you go for ?

# Change in the infrastucture of the club, start, or disband youth teams, Spend money on ground, facilities ?

The christmas period and after sometimes sees a lot of changes, thoughts please?

Post subject: Re: What do you want for xmas ???
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:04 pm 

At CLS we have had a fantastic 2018, winning a cup in may and sat 4th in the table and still we don't pay lads.
I just hope we kick on in the new year, the target in July was finish higher than last season, I'd still be happy with top 8 as there are plenty sides in the division paying a lot out each week on very good players although on the other hand some clubs are wasting a lot of money on bang average playere, league tables don't lie.

Off the field I wish we could sort out our ew clubhouse, I personally don't know why it has to be such an expensive new building when prefabs are another option and much much cheaper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:31 pm 

marron04 wrote:
At CLS we have had a fantastic 2018, winning a cup in may and sat 4th in the table and still we don't pay lads.
I just hope we kick on in the new year, the target in July was finish higher than last season, I'd still be happy with top 8 as there are plenty sides in the division paying a lot out each week on very good players although on the other hand some clubs are wasting a lot of money on bang average playere, league tables don't lie.

Off the field I wish we could sort out our ew clubhouse, I personally don't know why it has to be such an expensive new building when prefabs are another option and much much cheaper

All good points Craig, Chester are just outside the top do you think you need to strengthen anywhere or happy m8?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:13 pm 

As an Ashington fan, quite honestly, nothing.

We have had a hard few weeks playing Shildon, Bishops, Dunston and then Consett and have come away with only a two points, however on another day it could have quite easily been 10 points or more. We are playing good football, seem to have a good team spirit and are genuinely in a false league position, something which Consett eluded to after we played them. I just want our current standard of football to continue as there will be a time at some point this season it'll click and we'll beat someone comfortably.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:28 pm 

Still Learning. wrote:
marron04 wrote:

All good points Craig, Chester are just outside the top do you think you need to strengthen anywhere or happy m8?

Without a budget it's hard to go and strengthen. We are fortunate that we seem able to attract good players who just want to play, rather than wanting a packet. The committee and management just expect us to put our lot in, they don't set unreasonable targets.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:50 pm 

OhMightyOne wrote:

We have had a hard few weeks playing Shildon, Bishops, Dunston and then Consett and have come away with only a two points, however on another day it could have quite easily been 10 points or more. We are playing good football, seem to have a good team spirit and are genuinely in a false league position, something which Consett eluded to after we played them. I just want our current standard of football to continue as there will be a time at some point this season it'll click and we'll beat someone comfortably.

Sounds like you need someone whos a bit more clinical, reading this, a goalscorer or is that not the case in your opinion?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 pm 

For us it has to be a brand new management team is a must and desperately in need of significant ground maintenance/improvements.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:59 am 

OhMightyOne wrote:

It's interesting how opinions differ, and I accept I've missed a few of those games mentioned but for me across the season we need to add to the squad in every position. We're giving far too many soft goals away, and we cannot score for the life of us. Admittedly getting Buchanan back fit will help things but we could still do with more cover in there, as well as additions up front and in midfield. I'm far from convinced our league position is 'false'. Granted the spirit and work rate is (usually) there but the quality isn't. We're where we are on merit.

I wouldn't change the management though, Bowey has us trying to play the ball on the floor and attack which is what all fans want to see from their team. And with the new chairman, board etc in place I think we're healthier off the pitch than we've been for years. So for Christmas, apart from 5 new players, I'd like an extra couple of hundred through the gate each game please.

'Say, hey Johnny boy, the battle call
United we stand, divided we fall
Together we are what we can't be alone
We came to this country, you made it our home.'

Dropkick Murphys - 'Boys on the Dock'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:14 am 

marron04 wrote:

Our clubhouse is a prefab building and does the job well. Also being pitchside helps as people are in and out throughout the game.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:15 am 

I thought Ashington were very poor at Hillheads earlier in the season, despite nicking a draw. I usually associate them with a high tempo and good attacking play but it wasn't on display at all. May have just been an off day of course.

At Whitley... where to start? Happy to give Mick Mulhern time as he's got a very impressive CV & is seemingly popular with the players. On the pitch I'd say centre-back is the main issue as we only ever look solid when we have 3 CB's on the pitch. Cal Anderson is a brilliant defender but regularly injured. I like Ibby Hassan too but no combination of CB seem to compliment each other very well when Cal's out.

I'd say we're fairly desperate for some pace up front since Jack Foalle left for Morpeth. Andrei's back off to Blyth in January when his loan expires and that'll leave us with two target men in the squad and no one who can really get in behind defences.

Olly Martin getting a job which allows him to be available to play would be good too :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:01 pm 

Having worked with Mick for a number of years I know what a good coach and Manager is he and had great success in the ladies game. Hopefully that can transfer into the men’s game. I know how hard he works to prepare his teams for games so no one will work harder than him to get it right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:00 pm 

I just hope we (Heaton Stan) keep our squad in tact. In previous years we have lost key players to Div 1 sides and it's impacted our run of form. Otherwise, the club is in good shape. Great bunch of lads on the pitch, great coaching team and the volunteers are all brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 pm 

Hopefully we can extend Andrei's loan spell at Hillheads. Time will tell. As for Olly Martin, I believe he will be back home before long!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:37 pm 

Mike M wrote:
For us it has to be a brand new management team is a must and desperately in need of significant ground maintenance/improvements.

Hasnt this manager done quite a bit better Mike, are you talking about Bishops or am I getting you confused with another contibutor?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:38 pm 

TUSSFC wrote:
I just hope we (Heaton Stan) keep our squad in tact. In previous years we have lost key players to Div 1 sides and it's impacted our run of form. Otherwise, the club is in good shape. Great bunch of lads on the pitch, great coaching team and the volunteers are all brilliant.

Just out of interest which players left Stan to go to first division clubs? I can only think of Jon Wright