It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Durham New Ground...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:19 am 

bertbanger wrote:
so can someone answer this?

when will the FA stop forcibly promoting teams out from the northern league, if no teams are suitable to come down into it? will they stop promotion when we start shrinking in teams and have a certain number left, already we are 4 teams down, or will they keep going until we have no teams left?

The reason why there are no teams to be relegated from step 4. Is quite simple, hardly teams have ever accepted promotion in previous seasons. So the FA changed the rules. Give it a few seasons & I’m sure teams will start to be relegated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:35 pm 

Windy1970 wrote:
bertbanger wrote:
so can someone answer this?

when will the FA stop forcibly promoting teams out from the northern league, if no teams are suitable to come down into it? will they stop promotion when we start shrinking in teams and have a certain number left, already we are 4 teams down, or will they keep going until we have no teams left?

The reason why there are no teams to be relegated from step 4. Is quite simple, hardly teams have ever accepted promotion in previous seasons. So the FA changed the rules. Give it a few seasons & I’m sure teams will start to be relegated.

How long have they not been promoting teams? I think that would be your answer. It’s going to be a while yet as the top teams in the NL I feel will be comfortable in the division above. If I was a betting man, I’d say the next relegated team in to the division won’t be an ex NL team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:14 pm 

The reason why there are no teams to be relegated from step 4. Is quite simple, hardly teams have ever accepted promotion in previous seasons. So the FA changed the rules. Give it a few seasons & I’m sure teams will start to be relegated.[/quote]

How long have they not been promoting teams? I think that would be your answer. It’s going to be a while yet as the top teams in the NL I feel will be comfortable in the division above. If I was a betting man, I’d say the next relegated team in to the division won’t be an ex NL team.[/quote]
That depends really. If Kendal are sent the NWCL route, if they are relegated. Then there aren’t too many teams at step 4, that are from the far north of the NCEL footprint(ie ex-NCEL Prem sides). Pickering Town fit that criteria & so do Tadcaster Albion. Pickering aren’t safe, but they aren’t struggling either & Tadcaster are pushing for promotion. So it’s unlikely that any sides will be relegated into the NL for a long while. It’s more likely that teams from the northern reaches of the NWCL & NCEL Prem divisions, will simply be laterally transferred across.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 pm 

Windy and England have it nailed on r.e. strength of teams in the northern league. In the past the few clubs that actually took promotion seemed to be those who had the resources to fly through the evostick 1st division. if they didn't they would refuse promotion, sometimes clubs that would be decent in the division above still refused promotion. I don't recall a northern league team taking promotion and been a average evostick 1st division team for a number of seasons. Also theirs been one season wonders who won the league on far less resources than most and have refused promotion. Now such a club would be promoted and would have bigger odds to be relegated straight back. Also if teams don't have there grounds up to standard for the next level up, won the league on a whim and aint that bothered about promotion aka north ferriby they could be demoted regardless of where here they finish. In other words in the coming seasons i'm confident a team will be relegated back to the northern league but doubt it will happen this season

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm 

They will stop promoting teams when the Northern League stops winning the Vase. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:19 am 

AllyGB wrote:
Windy1970 wrote:
local lad wrote:
That's basically going to spell the death knell of this ex-football league club

Agree the sentiment entirely, but not the fact. This Durham City was founded in 1950, long after the former Football League team of the same name were disbanded in 1938. But, as I said, agree to the sentiment

Having just played Durham City on Saturday I sincerely hope they get out of their current predicament . There are a lot of good people who are giving it their all to keep Durham afloat . Speaking to them on Saturday they are a determined lot who are hell bent on keeping the club in Durham City where they belong . Surely the Council in Durham could try and pull out all the stops to help with it . Top lads and lasses on and off the pitch . Very hospitable and welcoming despite the problems they Are currently experiencing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:32 am 

Not a 100% sure why the council should help. They are a privately owned club and lets face it these days councils can barely afford to look after families who need social care or empty the bins and clean the environment to a decent standard due to the lack of funds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:43 am 

Cestrian wrote:
Not a 100% sure why the council should help. They are a privately owned club and lets face it these days councils can barely afford to look after families who need social care or empty the bins and clean the environment to a decent standard due to the lack of funds.

They could help them without spending money you know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:12 pm 

Oink Oink wrote:
Cestrian wrote:

They could help them without spending money you know.

Not meaning for the council to spend money . Just think they could help the by leasing a plot of land they could develop. No cost to the them whatsoever.
Not to much to ask to save a club going under . Not that they will go under , I’m sure they will keep going despite having a ground or not .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 pm 

Not sure how help could be given without there being a financial benefit somewhere. Even giving the club a plot of land to develop will mean that land and lets face it to develop land for an ENL ground needs a fair bit of land would mean that land is lost to the council for development meaning a financial loss somewhere along the line. I do hope Durham City survive but I don't see why the council should bail them out in any way at all when they have much bigger problems to address, sorry just my opinion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

Not unless the land can't/won't be sold for other developments. In that case it would actually save the council money as they would not longer need to maintain it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:31 pm 

You don’t need money to be successful

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 pm 

If the club got a bit of land for nowt where would they get money from to develop it? Dont think fa grants would pay for the full lot, might be wrong. Maybe relegation might be a blessing in disguise for the club as they can move to a ground of a lower standard and save on rent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:20 am 

Si_kirk wrote:
If the club got a bit of land for nowt where would they get money from to develop it? Dont think fa grants would pay for the full lot, might be wrong. Maybe relegation might be a blessing in disguise for the club as they can move to a ground of a lower standard and save on rent

I agree with this, the NL is a costly league to be with the travel, refs fees, rent, floodlights etc. Better to drop in to a lower league, try and find a ground, raise money and use grants to develop a proper home

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 pm 

Announcement on Durham City web site:
Quote:
CHAIRMAN
11 FEB | BY GAZ HUTCH

It was a great pleasure to first of all be offered the chance to become Chairman of the club by my fellow board members and know it will not be a easy task.
But it is one I will relish and take the challenge on.
Obviously our two main aims as a club are to stay in the league for the first team and avoid relegation and secondly to get back to Durham or as close as ASAP regarding the ground.
I would like to welcome Paul Trotter as vice chairman who I know personally and know he will do well.
Another big appointment Fred Usher as Club Secretary and I know Fred is Durham through and through as Club Secretary he will be dealing with all aspects of Secretary work and will probably bring a Assistant in with him.
Another change is Anthony Stubbs who becomes Business Account Manager dealing with all the account side including sponsorship Anthony will have no problem fitting into the role as he works At another big company Biochemica and I look forward to working with everyone.
Rome wasn’t built in a day but with everyone’s support Durham can and will get back where we belong.
Durham is a club and hopefully we can involve the Reserves and youth more but also supporters and we will have a couple of events coming up soon
Once again thanks for your support and emails texts etc.
Gary Hutchinson
Have I missed the announcement about Olivier Bernard packing in?

The good fortune to run into the ones I do, and
The eyesight to tell the difference.

If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next