Switch to full style
100% Unofficial
Forum rules
Post a reply

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:31 pm

The rules are pretty straight forward as Windy has pointed out.
The issue is any changes after the season has finished and the implications that may have, but hard to blame FA for that

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:55 am

Si_kirk wrote:I know rules are set but surely none are set in stone in the northern league this season with clubs folding and no team been relegated into division 1. Dont think any west yorkshire teams will be happy getting transferred into the league

Knaresborough are less than 30 miles from Northallerton. Next season their nearest NCEL Prem club will be Yorkshire Amateurs & they’re about the same distance as to Northallerton.

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:05 am

if u go by the rulea would knaresborough be placed in Division 1? so it doesnt matter how close Northallerton is its the Division 1 clubs that matter and over time as hopefully their are more northern clubs further up the pyramid the boundaries of the lower leagues will change

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:38 am

Windy1970 wrote:
Si_kirk wrote:I know rules are set but surely none are set in stone in the northern league this season with clubs folding and no team been relegated into division 1. Dont think any west yorkshire teams will be happy getting transferred into the league

Knaresborough are less than 30 miles from Northallerton. Next season their nearest NCEL Prem club will be Yorkshire Amateurs & they’re about the same distance as to Northallerton.

Thats if northallerton go up, if they dont the nearest team will be the south durham teams like shildon, bishop, weat auckland, newton aycliffe who must be 60 mile away surely

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:22 am

Guisborough would be the closest 1st division side.. then us and Billingham if we both go up plus Stockton.. still 40+ miles away mind

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:44 am

It’s closer to a lot of clubs than Penrith is & a lot quicker to get too. If you look in the NCEL1 for instance. Skegness Town’s closest game is 40 miles away & an hour by car. The Northern League has one of the most compact footprints of any step 5/6 league’s. So if it has to expand slightly beyond its natural boundaries then so be it. But it’ll probably only be for a single season anyway. Because the FA are creating 2 more step 5 leagues at the end of next season & this means all the step 5 leagues footprints will shrink.

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:58 am

Disillusioned wrote:if u go by the rulea would knaresborough be placed in Division 1? so it doesnt matter how close Northallerton is its the Division 1 clubs that matter and over time as hopefully their are more northern clubs further up the pyramid the boundaries of the lower leagues will change


As Windy pointed out, there is no rules that seem to allow Northallerton to be promoted as 3rd place team at step 6. Looks as if Knaresborough will be moved sideways, and so be it. Does it really matter if a team has to travel 30 miles further once a season than if they were playing us?

We always loved a trip to Whitehaven and often commented how far they travelled every other week

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:31 am

Windy, I have it on good authority by a poster on here that 3rd will go up from NL2 and that was late January.

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:14 pm

Noeldinho wrote:Windy, I have it on good authority by a poster on here that 3rd will go up from NL2 and that was late January.

Your ‘on good authority’ is just wrong.
The rules state that the 19 step 6 winners will be promoted. Followed by the 9 best runners up on a ppg basis. If there’s any extra places made available, then these will be given to the next best runners up. When all 19 runners up have been promoted, they will reprieve the 2nd bottom step 5 league sides on a ppg basis(this means every step 5 league). Until all step 5 league bottom 2 sides have been reprieved.
In essence 38 step 6 clubs would have to be promoted & 38 step 5 league sides reprieved(minus all those clubs that have folded). Before the League Committee would look elsewhere. If they didn’t follow these rules, then every club that wasn’t promoted or reprieved before Northallerton would have the basis of an appeal & they’d win that appeal because the FALC broke the FA’s standardised rules. So no Northallerton aren’t going to be promoted this season.
*just in the unbelievable case that it gets down to the chance that the FALC would consider 3rd placed step 6 sides. They would only do it on a ppg basis.

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:28 am

I've also heard that Northallerton could go up. The exceptional circumstances of Div 1 and the need to increase the number of teams in that division means the FA have to take an innovative approach to promotion and relegation.

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:05 am

They don't have to do anything, including breaking their own rules. They could easily wait one more season when the extra division(s) will be introduced to reconfigure everything.

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 am

Have we seen the last of 3 up and 3 down , or is this nonsense just this season.

Could you image the uproar if they only promoted 1 in the football league

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:44 am

I hope we do at some point in the future go back to three sides being promoted but that's just my personal preference, which I'd imagine is the same as most players, staff and supporters would like.

All the way through the non league system only the champions are promoted automatically, with a play off for the remaining places. Would be great to see play offs introduced into the northern league as an alternative to 3 promoted sides, again in my opinion.

I think the most frustrating part for most people has been the unknown element to promotion and relegation, which has become a bit unclear with sides resigning (albeit it seems to be fairly straight forward from the FA rules).

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:19 am

JayT wrote:I hope we do at some point in the future go back to three sides being promoted but that's just my personal preference, which I'd imagine is the same as most players, staff and supporters would like.

All the way through the non league system only the champions are promoted automatically, with a play off for the remaining places. Would be great to see play offs introduced into the northern league as an alternative to 3 promoted sides, again in my opinion.

I think the most frustrating part for most people has been the unknown element to promotion and relegation, which has become a bit unclear with sides resigning (albeit it seems to be fairly straight forward from the FA rules).

Playoffs are great jay but the sticking point with this level is the weather. Championship through to the conference level yes but when you get seasons as bad as the northern league have recently in seasons gone by weather wise you simply can't fit the games in. This year has been an exception.

Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:45 am

For now the only changes for next season are between step 4 & 5.
With effect from the commencement of the 2019/20 season, the following will apply:
In addition, a series of Play Off Matches shall be played between the Clubs finishing in second position in each of the Leagues at Step 5 at the end of the Regular Season. The ties shall be decided by the Association pairing Clubs on the most suitable geographical basis. These matches shall be played on a single match basis on the ground of the Club with the best points per match ratio in the Regular Season. The winners of each of these seven matches shall play a final Play Off Match against one of the Clubs finishing third from bottom of each Step 4 division at the end of the Regular Season, such matches to be decided by the Association so that each Step 4 Club plays a Step 5 Club; such matches to be on a single match basis on the home ground of the Step 4 Club on cup tie terms with no percentage being paid to any Competition. The seven winners shall play at Step 4 in the following season.
I’m sure there’ll be more changes when the FA releases the details of the restructure(end of May/start of June)
Post a reply