It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: The FA's proposed new restructuring
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:47 pm 

bigcbeat wrote:
Wack wrote:
I don't see the point of having the North Riding League and the Wearside League in this area. Surely if clubs are cherry picked with the correct facilities for step 6 ( Stokesley for example) then make just one step 7 league that would work.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

IMO all Step 7 should be county leagues. The FA wants to create a step league in Cumbria & hopefully this won’t be too many years away. So I have no problems with 4 step 7 leagues covering the north & northeast. If you look at the NCEL, it has 7 feeder leagues & some of them cover the same area(WYL & WRCAL for example). The NWCL also has 7 feeder leagues!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:10 pm 

Neil M wrote:
Don't understand Mike Amos. He spent 20 years complaining that promotion to Step 4 was too difficult for NL clubs due to the huge increase in travel and costs. The FA create a new Step 4 league that will drastically reduce the travel for teams going up from NL1 and he's still not happy :roll:

Personally I don't support a league, I support a club. If this makes promotion easier through the leagues then I'm all for it and don't see what the issue is.

It obviously has proved difficult, look how Spennymoor, South Shields, Morpeth and my team Marske are struggling since taking promotion. :roll: Morpeth's chairman has been pretty vocal in the past against compulsory promotion but in the NLP a few months back he was saying how he and the club were enjoying it all. Promotion isn't exactly the unmitigated disaster and death knell for clubs that its been made out to be, the NE clubs that have taken it are thriving and Mike's blog, for me, has an air of resentment at what he sees as the eventual weakening of the NL. Well, that's progression. No NL team in the Vase semis won't have helped his mood either... :mrgreen:

I agree 100% regarding supporting a club as opposed to supporting a league, I can't see why any club supporter would feel loyalty to a particular league, I doubt many, for example, Man City fans feel loyalty to the Premiership. You just want to win the league you're competing in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:23 pm 

Windy1970 wrote:
bigcbeat wrote:
Wack wrote:
I don't see the point of having the North Riding League and the Wearside League in this area. Surely if clubs are cherry picked with the correct facilities for step 6 ( Stokesley for example) then make just one step 7 league that would work.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

IMO all Step 7 should be county leagues. The FA wants to create a step league in Cumbria & hopefully this won’t be too many years away. So I have no problems with 4 step 7 leagues covering the north & northeast. If you look at the NCEL, it has 7 feeder leagues & some of them cover the same area(WYL & WRCAL for example). The NWCL also has 7 feeder leagues!

I read in the non league paper that a west yorkshire league is folding due to lack of clubs. It does seem a good idea to make step 7 leagues county league but all down to numbers. Cant have such leagues running with 10 teams

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 pm 

Cestrian wrote:
The new league is obviously a step forward for ambitious clubs and a reduction in travelling at that step. I just worry for the whole non league football scene in the NE as those that move upwards will not be replaced further down the structure because the bottom has fallen out of competitive Saturday afternoon football in the NE.

It could be argued that the bottom has fallen out because the top has been firmly screwed tight at the top. Maybe this would shake things up a little and allow clubs to feel that the step isn’t as big anymore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:29 pm 

The FA are hoping to release the details on the next restructuring by May time. But this isn’t a fixed date, because there’s still a lot more work to be done.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:10 pm 

The FA have told all the step 5/6 leagues, that because of the upcoming restructuring(2 new step 5 league’s & boundary changes to step 6 league’s) the they will have to tender to run the divisions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:45 pm 

Windy do you think the boundaries will shift for the northern league? Cant see how it could really expand its catchment area without increasing travelling alot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:28 pm 

Because the FA are increasing the number of step 5 leagues. I would suggest that the Northern League will actually decrease it’s footprint. This might just mean in reality that Penrith are moved & the Northern League just becomes a Northeastern League. Because step 6 will have 17 leagues, I can’t see much change to the Northern League Div2. I know that the new step 5 league’s will be in the Midlands & Home Counties. I’m sure at step 6, there’ll be changes in the 3 Midlands & 2 Hellenic League’s.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:15 pm 

It is a sad state of affairs when we are entering the last few weeks of the season and many teams don't know whether they will be promoted , relegated, stay where they are etc etc. The FA are really a bunch of useless blazer wearing, snouts in the trough quasi politicians who do not care one jot about grass roots football. If you asked most of these people making the decisions in London where Brandon or West Auckland or Bedlington were they wouldn't have a clue yet they make decisions about leagues and geography without even visiting the area etc. At least when it was 3 up and 3 down and however many relegated from ENL2 to the feeder leagues as were teams capable of moving up you knew where you were now it is a shambles, maybe even a grass roots Brexit!!!!!! although Brexit has been handled better!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Cestrian wrote:
It is a sad state of affairs when we are entering the last few weeks of the season and many teams don't know whether they will be promoted , relegated, stay where they are etc etc.

Couldn't agree more. It's a disgrace that clubs have no idea what step and/or league they could be playing in next season at this point. How are clubs supposed to prepare?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 pm 

Cestrian wrote:
It is a sad state of affairs when we are entering the last few weeks of the season and many teams don't know whether they will be promoted , relegated, stay where they are etc etc. The FA are really a bunch of useless blazer wearing, snouts in the trough quasi politicians who do not care one jot about grass roots football. If you asked most of these people making the decisions in London where Brandon or West Auckland or Bedlington were they wouldn't have a clue yet they make decisions about leagues and geography without even visiting the area etc. At least when it was 3 up and 3 down and however many relegated from ENL2 to the feeder leagues as were teams capable of moving up you knew where you were now it is a shambles, maybe even a grass roots Brexit!!!!!! although Brexit has been handled better!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Same scenario different year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:05 pm 

Billingham Towns and Thornaby’s points per ratio is good enough to gain promotion....and will probably stay that way. Northallerton could be up too. If Dunston are promoted and Penrith moved laterally, that would mean 19 teams. The same in division two if Sunderland West End and Newcastle University went up....if only it was that simple!

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:17 pm 

Interpol wrote:
Billingham Towns and Thornaby’s points per ratio is good enough to gain promotion....and will probably stay that way. Northallerton could be up too. If Dunston are promoted and Penrith moved laterally, that would mean 19 teams. The same in division two if Sunderland West End and Newcastle University went up....if only it was that simple!

Northallerton will not be promoted under any circumstances. The standardised rules are very clear. The champions of NL2 will definitely be promoted, the runners up are one of those clubs currently inline for promotion & if they continue their form they will also be promoted.
Dunston are promoted, there will be no relegations from NL1 because the 2 clubs that folded will be classed as the relegated clubs(this is also in the standardised rules). The only issue that I cannot guarantee is whether Durham City will be relegated or not. According to the standardised rules they should be relegated, because they are one of the worst ppg basis teams across step 6. Obviously 1 promotion from NL1, no relegations & 2 teams promoted from NL2. Adds up to 19 clubs next season, the FA will laterally transfer the nearest club from a neighbouring league & that club is almost certainly Knaresborough Town.
So when people say they haven’t got a clue who is going to be promoted or relegated, they aren’t reading the standardised rules & that is what the FA league committee will adhere too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:31 pm 

Windy, what you say does make sense....but to expect the average NL fan to read or indeed understand the standardised rules is another thing. How can the supporter be better educated in this scenario? From clubs? The FA? NL itself?

NOW YOU SEE ME AT WORK/THE ROVER.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:51 pm 

I know rules are set but surely none are set in stone in the northern league this season with clubs folding and no team been relegated into division 1. Dont think any west yorkshire teams will be happy getting transferred into the league

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 67  Next